Platform Asia has been awarded funding from Arts Council England to deliver Germinate, to research, foster and seed cultural opportunities between the UK and West Asia. To encourage new connections and collaborations, Germinate will deliver a series of events for the public and art professionals, including curatorial research in West Asia, professional meetings and talks, and a touring programme of work by West Asian artists.
The open call
We will support three curators to visit Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia to research and develop project ideas. We welcome applications from curators working with art institutions, part-time employed or freelance practitioners. Whether you have existing knowledge of West Asian art or not, this is an opportunity to expand your network, skills and expertise. We are looking for curators who are actively engaged in presenting and promoting underrepresented artists and their work to the public.
Selected curators will have the opportunity to meet with artists, curators and venues in Istanbul, Baku and Tbilisi. And to propose new project ideas that benefit artists from the UK and West Asia. Additionally, we will offer a bursary for one proposal to realise and present the project on our platform.
Visit dates: 29 June – 7 July 2023 for all three countries.
We particularly welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Black, Asian and Ethnically Diverse and Disabled people, and those who are underrepresented in the sector.
What we are offering through this opportunity
- £300 stipend, plus £100 towards food and travel (fee is inclusive of all taxes) during the visit.
- Return flight to Istanbul and accommodation covered during the visit.
- Flights between Istanbul, Baku and Tbilisi.
- Networking opportunity with local artists, curators and venues.
- Opportunity to apply for 1 x £1,000 bursary to further research and deliver a new public programme with us (subject to proposals received).
Expected outputs from successful applicants
- To submit a curatorial proposal that will lead to public engagement activities such as exhibitions, screenings, performance/s and web-based activity. Which will benefit West Asian artists from the UK and internationally.
- To establish potential links and connections with proposed artists, venues and collaborators for future projects.
- To complete and submit a short activity report.
- Be a practising curator, with previous experience working with contemporary art and culture in all or part of their practice.
- Based in England (i.e. have an address in the country).
- Have demonstrable career experience as a practising curator.
- Have curated and delivered projects/activities open to the public within the last three years.
- Have an interest in UK and international West Asian art, culture and communities.
The application should include:
- 100 words in English about your research interest and how you plan to develop.
- 100 words in English about how you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Completed online application form, submitted by 5pm, 5 May 2023.
If you would like the form in a different format, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Germinate is supported by Arts Council England.