Call for curatorial ideas for projects with South Asian artists working in sound and digital media
About Sudden Beams
Sudden Beams is a curatorial project to support and increase visibility of South Asian artists working with digital and creative media. By providing opportunities to exhibit work and engage with new audiences. Sudden Beams will support a programme of events, including a call for proposals from curators to develop project ideas and a touring programme of work by artists from South Asia.
The open call
We will support two curators to research and develop project ideas, which include work by South Asian artists working with sound and digital media. We are looking for ideas that explore contemporary culture, which can also expand our understanding and knowledge of South Asian creativity and practice. Selected curatorial ideas will have the opportunity to explore how to develop their research ideas into realisable projects in the future.
We particularly welcome proposals from applicants with diverse backgrounds.
What we are offering through this opportunity
- £2,000 – includes fee, travel, production and materials (fee is inclusive of all taxes) to support a period of research and development over one or two months period from Jan 2021(negotiable).
- An opportunity to present your research on our website.
- Administration and marketing support from us.
- Professional fundraising advice and support.
- Opportunity to deliver the project in our programme.
- Networking opportunity with our artists and partners.
Expected research outputs from successful applicants
- To create a curatorial proposal that has potential to lead to public engagement activities such as exhibitions, screenings, performance/s and web-based activity.
- To establish potential links and connections with proposed South Asian artists, for future projects.
- To present research in a relevant format (to be decided with successful applicants), such as a journal, an art review or talk/s, about South Asian contemporary art on our website.
- Be a practising curator, with previous experience of working with sound and digital artists in all or part of their practice.
- Based in England (i.e. have an address in the country).
- Have demonstrable career experience as a practising curator.
- Have curated and delivered projects/activity open to the public within the last three years.
- Have an interest in UK and international South Asian arts and culture.
The application should include:
- Write 300 words in English about your project ideas and how you plan to develop.
- Write 200 words in English about how you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Attach CV.
- Send 4-6 JPEG images and links to previous relevant projects (please keep total data size below 1MB).
- Email application to: firstname.lastname@example.org with heading: SUDDEN BEAMS OPEN CALL 2020_(YOUR NAME), submitted by 5pm, 2 Dec 2020.
Sudden Beams is supported by Arts Council England.